International Development Fellows Program (IDFP)
The Catholic Relief Services' International Development Fellows Program (IDFP) gives people who are interested in a career in international relief and development an opportunity to increase their overseas experience and gain exposure to our programs. Each year, CRS places approximately 20-25 Fellows with our country programs overseas. Assignments are for 8-12 months, starting in early September. Specific job responsibilities vary greatly from one country to another depending on the country program's focus (Agriculture, Health, Peacebuilding, Education, Microfinance, or a combination of these). The goal of the IDFP is to place Fellows in positions where they can draw on their previous education and work experience, while broadening their skills. Most of our fellowships lead to regular positions with Catholic Relief Services.
The 2014-2015 IDFP Application is now open. Please apply here.
IDFP Webinar Recording
We held an information session webinar hosted by International Development Fellows Program Officer Jennifer Nazaire on November 4, 2013. We discussed the program, application tips as well as answered questions regarding the application process, the fellowship year and starting your career with CRS.
A recording of the webinar can be accessed at http://ecom.catholicrelief.org/p6g6evtgf55/.
Remember December 1 is the deadline for IDFP applications!
IDFP Live Chat Transcript
We held a live web chat to discuss the International Development Fellows Program in November 2011. We discussed application tips as well as answered questions regarding the application process, the fellowship year, and starting your career with CRS.
A transcript of the chat can be accessed at:http://crs.org/about/careers/fellowships/chat/.
Please note that since this live chat was held, Portuguese has been eliminated as a qualifying language, and the international work/volunteer experience has been raised to a minimum of 12 months.
2013 Schedule of University Visits
For a schedule of universities we will visit this year, please see schedule of university visits.
International Development Fellows Program Video
For frequently asked questions about the International Development Fellows Program, please see Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page.
Important Dates in the 2014-2015 IDFP Application Cycle:
- September 16, 2013
- Application becomes available online
- December 1, 2013 at 11:59PM
- Deadline for application
- Late October - Mid January
- Phone interviews and phone language testing is conducted
- Qualifying candidates are brought to Baltimore for a full day of interviews
- Offers are made to selected candidates
For more information about the International Development Fellows Program, please write to email@example.com.
- Graduate degree in a field relevant to international development.
- Professional proficiency in French, Spanish, Arabic, or Portuguese. French preferred.
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States
- At least 12 months overseas work or volunteer experience in a developing country.
- Strong cross-cultural skills with the ability to adapt to the local culture.
- Ability to operate effectively in a stressful, fast changing environment where security could change unexpectedly.
- Fluency in English with strong oral and written communication skills and strong analytical skills.
- Interest in a career in development or emergency relief with Catholic Relief Services
- Commitment to CRS Principles
- Desire to work for a faith-based organization.
CRS provides the IDFP participants with the following benefits:
- Stipend of $23,500 annually
- Cost of living adjustment
- Furnished housing
- Transportation to and from the country of assignment
- Medical Evacuation Coverage
- Medical, Life, Travel, Accident, and Personal/Household Effects Insurance.
IDFP is now on Facebook! Like the Catholic Relief Services - International Development Fellows Program page for updates, tips and relevant information.
IDFP is now on Twitter! Tweet us at @CRS_IDFP.